Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Clauses

Yes, this deserves a separate post.

Noun Clauses


Introduced to a sentence using the words who, whose, whoever, what, whatever and in some cases, how, that, where, why.
If you are unsure whether or not it is a noun clause, try substituting a pronoun/noun where the noun clause should be.
They function as nouns, and can be
  1. Subject
    Whatever was in his pocket kicked me.
    He kicked me.
  2. Subjective Complement
    Vandalism from Javi:

    1. I am a person.
    2. I am whatever I want to be.

  3. Direct Object
    Jethro ate whatever was in his hand.
    Jethro ate a banana.
  4. Indirect Object
    Andrei gave wilted flowers to whoever owned them.
    Andrei gave wilted flowers to the bees.
  5. Object of the Preposition
    The gift is from whoever ate Howakee and Mika.
    The gift is from Monchai.


Adjective Clauses


These function as adjectives and modify nouns/pronouns/noun clauses. They're introduced by relative pronouns. There are certain relative pronouns for certain adjective clauses.
  • For Persons: who, whoever, whom
  • For Things/Animals: that, which
  • Time/Events: when, whenever
  • Places: where, wherever


Again, to check if they work, try removing the adjective clause then put an adjective before the word it modifies.
If the adjective clause is at the start of the sentence, It should work.
1.) The man who eats barnacles should not die.
The crazy man should not die.
2.) Bottles that are made of plastic should be thrown in the proper bins.
Plastic bottles should be thrown in the proper bins.
3.) The time when you think you're ready is when we leave.
The right time is when we leave.
4.) The room where you were born is inhabited by monkeys.
The pink room is inhabited by monkeys.

Adverbial Clauses


Function as adverbs, which means they can modify verbs, adjectives, or other adverbs.
THEY CANNOT MODIFY NOUNS so please, when asked to identify modified word/group of words, it's NOT THE NOUN!

  • Time
    They answer "when".
    Before my monkey got lost, I was happy.
    ^^ Modifies happy
    I became sad when my monkey got lost.
    ^^Modifies sad, I think

  • Manner
    They answer "how".
    Indie **talked** as if she would never talk again.
    Indie **ran** as though someone was chasing her.
    **words are the modified words**

  • Place
    They answer "where".
    Indie **went** where she had to go.

  • Reason
    I ate the cookies since nobody told me they were hers.
    ^^ modifies 'ate'
    I closed the bar because I was tired.
    ^^modifies 'closed'

  • Purpose
    I wore black so that I would be near invisible in the dark.
    ^^modifies 'wore'
    This is different from Reason because Purpose gives the intention, and Reason justifies it.

  • Condition
    Expresses hypothetical consequences ("or else"), or lay down premises which must be agreed upon by specific party.
    I will not eat the cookies unless you eat my donuts.
    I will clean your room, provided that you supply me with nuclear weapons.

  • Concession
    Shows an unexpected/contrasting idea, against the other idea in the sentence.
    Even if I ate already, I ate some more rice.
    I resorted to drugs, even though I knew they were bad.


Yun.

No comments:

Post a Comment